Saturday, November 13, 2010

Memories

Once again we begin to think of the christmas season soon to be upon us.

Of course for me it is all the preparation and especially all the goodies we enjoy.

Out comes my recipes and as usual the old standbys always come out first.

My Mom, bless her soul, gave me her recipe for mincemeat. She wrote it on the back of a used

envelope. Just the ingredients, No amounts and no directions. I treasure this little piece of

scrap paper because it is written in Mom's handwriting.

My daughter Liz always helps making the mincemeat. It has become a family tradition.

She peels the apples and puts them through the food processor. "Mom, do you think we have

enough apples?" asked Liz. "Oh I think so". We then proceed to put in all the other ingredients

tasting as we go. Perhaps should add a little more of this or that. Eventually it satisfies our

taste buds. Because of my Mom, the finished product is a little different every year. Thanks

Mom for the special memory.

4 comments:

  1. And thanks to you also, Mom, for all the goodies and all the special memories of Christmas. You work SO hard every year and we all are eternally grateful.
    Now, don't forget to tell Liz to make fudge!
    And make sure you make lots of Butterballs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Cathy, the fudge, the best fudge in the world. Liz works this christmas, but hopefully she'll have time to make her delicious fudge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I'll make the fudge! I tried to get out of it by giving Judy the recipee, but she said it didn't turn out as good! Darn eh, I tried! Mom, I absolutly love making our mincemeat every year! One of my favorite treasured traditions! I especially love taste testing.And spending the afternoon with you! This year your homemade potatoe and dumplings soup made it even better! Oh ya Cathy, if I gotta make fudge, you gotta make those awsome gingerbread cookies with icing on them! Love ya's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice and warm is your blog, Dot!

    I hope you'll be posting again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete